How to Start Thinking about Social Impact with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals | Episode 53
Where do we start when we get serious about creating positive change on people and the planet through our business?
We suggest starting with the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for 3 reasons:
1. The SDGs are universal - meaning the global leaders have agreed to make these goals the global community's priority.
2. They are very clear and have indicators to show us whether we are meeting the goals or not.
3. All other impact metrics, such as the Global Impact Investment Network's (GIIN) and B-Lab's assessment for B-Corp certification, all lead back to and are aligned with the SDGs.
So, you ask, how do you start thinking about social impact with the SDGs? Here are 3 steps to get you started and move you towards making more of an impact through your business.
1. Visit the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals website and see which of the 17 goals resonate with you.
2. Look at the SDGs through the lens of time - by looking at your past (to find your expertise), your present (to find your calling), and your future (to find your mission).
3. Find the easiest most logical step to take you towards the SDG that makes the most sense. Keep it simple and easy so that you don't feel overwhelmed.