#41: Finding Your Social Impact Mission | Episode 43
Socially conscious businesses that want to take a more proactive stance on social justice and social impact need a more tangible impact mission that can be incorporated into their business model. To avoid purpose-washing, the need to have a clear well-defined social impact mission is essential. More importantly, knowing what your social impact mission is and being able to commit to pursuing it through your business will make your mission more sustainable, effective, and fulfilling.
Ask yourself the following questions to find your social impact mission:
1. What are you passionate about? Passion gives you excitement and enthusiasm over what you're doing.
Ask yourself the following questions to know what you're passionate about?
- What lights you up when you talk about it?
- What makes you lose track of time?
- What struggles are you willing to endure to get what you want?
- What would you be willing to embarrass yourself for?
- What can you do with your life now that would make your 7-year-old self proud?
2. What's your calling? Your calling gives you fulfillment.
Frederick Beuchner says that "the place God calls you to is where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meets." Ask yourself:
- What is your deep gladness?
- What is the world's deep hunger?
Your calling is where both your answers intersect.
3. What's your expertise? Your expertise directs your actions. Ask:
- What is my educational background?
- What do I know? What's my training?
- What's my experience?
- What are my skill sets?